The mathematics laboratory is a place where anybody can experiment and explore patterns and ideas. At Advaith’s Math Lab, you will find collection of games, puzzles, and other teaching and learning materials. The materials are student self-driven as well as guided by teachers to explore, discover, learn and develop the world of Mathematics. The activities create interest among students to explore, and test some of their ideas, beliefs and hypothesis around Math. Advaith’s Math lab is appealing students of different ages and varying mathematical proficiency. While the initial appeal is broad-based, the level of engagement of different individuals may vary. The activities are intended to give our students an experience of enjoying and embracing mathematics and not merely for the purpose of demonstration.
The Maths lab at Advaith provides an opportunity for students to discover mathematics through hands-on-experiment. Many of the activities present a problem or a challenge, with the possibility of generating further challenges and problems and igniting curiosity. The activities help students to visualize, manipulate and reason out. They provide opportunity to make conjectures and test them, and to generalize observed patterns. They create a context for students to attempt to prove their conjectures.
Benefits of Advaith’s Math Lab
- Practical mindedness is developed
- Complex theoretical concepts are made clear
- Interest in learning Mathematics are developed
- Learning of subject matter are given a practical shape
- Habit of critical thinking and logical reasoning are developed
- Bookish knowledge is correlated practically with their daily life
Functions of Advaith’s Math lab:
- Develop the ability of keen observation
- Concrete the abstract mathematical concepts
- We make mathematics learning interesting and purposeful
- Enable students to develop proper skills in handling equipment and gadgets
- Provide activities that arouse curiosity of our students to maintain their interest in learning
Materials and equipment at our Mathematics laboratory :
Implementation of math lab at Advaith :
- Math lab activities are performed every week
- Students demonstrate post teacher demonstration
- Individual activities and group activities are conducted
- Students display the Math fact on bulletin board weekly once
- Hands-on activities help our students improve his/her kinesthetic sense
At Advaith School in Hosur, our Math teachers play a vital role as facilitators than as teachers. There is a need of strategies for teaching mathematics in a Math lab atmosphere that transforms the position of the teacher from being active speaker to a facilitator.
Conceptualizing mathematical ideas stimulate the growth of analytical thought, which is critical for succeeding in the modern world. The conceptual understanding will better enable students to handle logical and complex information throughout their lives. At Advaith, our students transit from disliking to liking Mathematics and those who like fall in love with Mathematics under the facilitation and ignition of our Math teachers!